Recently in Electrical Category

New Panels

| |

Last month we installed two more 175W solar panels to our array. For those keeping track we now have eight 85W BP solar panels, four 165W Sharp panels, and two 175W Sharp panels for a grand total of 1360W.

Unfortunately one of the realities of building an array piecemeal is that the sizes of the panels change from model-to-model and year-to-year. We really didn't want to buy new racks so we decided to modify the existing racks that hold the BP Solar panels. We added two new mounting rails and moved the two existing rails to the sides. The new panels squeeze quite nicely in the middle.

This required that new holes be drilled to mate the horizontal rails to the rack uprights. If you look closely you can see a piece of wood we were using a blocker to prevent us from accidently drilling into the back of a panel. With Dad, J.P. and I it took most of the day to get the racks modified, panels mounted and wired.

Most of the time that we worked Declan played outside in the sand pile (side note: a pleasant side effect of straw bale construction is that you usually end up with enough leftover sand for a good play area.) He's a remarkably self-sufficient kid.

We've been really lucky, so far this fall and we've had lots of sun. We call this time of year the "100 days of grey" because we typically go from late October to early January with little or no sun. In the last four weeks we've had many sunny days and have really seen the benefit of our new panels. Here's a picture of the readout form our Outback MX-60 charge controller. You can see that the panels are bringing in 31.4A but the MX-60 is upping that to 38.3A. Typically we have to run the generator weekly through the 100 days of grey to keep the batteries charged but in the last four weeks we've only run it twice. In addition to saving money on gas, we really appreciate the peace and quiet.

The Problem with Three-Ways

| |

So the fun with wiring continues. Dad and I keep disagreeing on how to wire up three-way switches. Dad thought there was a problem with a switch and re-wired it but while it worked, it wasn't right. This morning we set out together and we re-wired every single light and three way switch in the house. We now have working lights in the back rooms, and the mud-room, plus proper switched power to the front and back door exterior lights. Paul (the architect) lent us a book about the electrical code and we just wired everything up with the book open in front of us, saved arguing, and everything works. We'll hook up the other lights as we acquire them.

The heat is lovely, we leave it set at about 17 degrees, and even though we're having some troubles with the inverter, the house can stay warm through the night with no heat. Which is good since both Dad and I have walked into the house in the morning and found the inverter off and displaying an unknown error. However, after a quick look through the manual (RTFM ya' know), Dad discovered that there is a way to display the type of error that has occured. So maybe tomorrow, if there's a problem again, we'll be able to figure out what's going on. Now wouldn't that be exciting?

We're just working on small stuff around the house these days, for a whole variety of reasons we've sort of slowed down while we get a grip on things. We're nearing the end of the project and there's not quite as much money left as we'd hoped, and we feel like we've been on a runaway train with rushing to get everything done. Now that we have heat we can slow down, take stock, and get all of the last stuff done right.

So Mom's been taping the seams in the vapour barrier, Dad and I are working on electrical, caulking, the bathroom, and figuring out how all of of new high-tech systems work.

The next goals are sealing the concrete floor, doing the final coat of stucco on the inside, and running the conduit around the perimeter. Then we have to finish the plumbing, finish the inside the bathroom, and then the kitchen. After all that, maybe, just maybe, we move in. It doesn't seem that far away now...

Pictures?

Snow and Electrical

| |

We spent the afternoon working on the wiring again. We've got the wires layed out where we want them and now we're just stapling them in place. Mom and Jo are busy sanding the posts and beams. One pass with 60 grit, and later they'll do another pass with 120 grit. Yesterday in Peterborough we bought Joanne her own Random Orbital Sander, so now she has steel-toed boots, a tool belt, a hammer, and a power tool. She's rough and ready to go!

We got a whole bunch of snow today and it looks to keep going all night long. Eric dropped by to see if the drive needed plowing and we chatted with him for a bit. He's going to talk to Andrew (the plumber) and coordinate getting our water hooked up. Now since Andrew said before the holidays that he was going to coordinate with Eric between the two of them hopefully they can get this done.

We didn't take any pictures again so I thought I put together a bit of a retrospective of what we got done in 2002. So here's the year in pictures.

Contact Us

Twitter Status

Amazon Wishlist

Powered By

Powered by Movable Type 4.261

Google Ads